|Birthname:||Donald P. Bellisario|
|Born:||August 8, 1935|
|Birthplace:||Cokeburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Spouse(s):||Deborah Pratt, 1984-1991 (divorced) |
Vivienne Bellisario, 1998-present
|TV series/film producer, director and screenwriter|
|Known for:||Producing the TV shows Magnum P.I., Airwolf, JAG, First Monday, & NCIS|
|Appears on/involved with:||Quantum Leap|
|Job on series||Series executive producer/creator; also made cameo appearance as Dr. Timothy Mintz in "A Portrait For Troian"|
Bellisario was born in Charleroi or Cokeburg, Pennsylvania to an Italian father Albert and a Serbian mother Dana (née Lapčević) Bellisario who was born in Gamberale, Abruzzo, Italy. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1955 to 1959, attaining the rank of Sergeant.
Bellisario earned a bachelors degree in journalism at Pennsylvania State University in 1961. In 2001 he was named a Distinguished Alumnus—the highest honor bestowed on a graduate of Penn State. In 2006, Bellisario endowed a $1 million Trustee Matching Scholarship in the Penn State College of Communications. He recalled:
Growing up in a hardscrabble western Pennsylvania coal mining town, I know first hand the sacrifices that are made to give a son or daughter a university education…and as a Marine veteran who returned to Penn State with two small children and little money, I remember all too well that struggle. It's my hope that this scholarship will also ease the financial burden of other young men and women who have defended our country to attain their academic goals.
Bellisario became an advertising copywriter in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1965, and three years later became creative director of the Bloom Agency in Dallas, Texas. After rising to senior vice president after eight years, he then moved to Hollywood to pursue screenwriting and production.
After working under such television producers as Glen A. Larson, Bellisario adopted some of their production techniques, most notably utilizing a small pool of actors which he uses for his many productions.
Episodes written by DonaldEdit
- Writer of episodes:
- Genesis: Part I (episode)
- Genesis: Part II (episode)
- How The Tess Was Won (episode)
- Double Identity (episode)
- Camikazi Kid (episode) (Story/Teleplay)
- Honeymoon Express (episode)
- A Portrait For Troian (episode) (Teleplay)
- All Americans (episode)
- Her Charm (episode) (Teleplay)
- M.I.A. (episode)
- The Leap Home, Part I (episode)
- The Leap Home, Part II (episode)
- Last Dance Before An Execution (episode) (Story)
- The Leap Back (episode)
- A Single Drop of Rain (episode)
- Ghost Ship (episode)
- Lee Harvey Oswald, Part I (episode)
- Lee Harvey Oswald, Part II (episode)
- Mirror Image (episode)
- Catch A Falling Star (episode) (Director)
- ↑ Donald P. Bellisario Biography (1935–), Filmreference.com, accessed May 5, 2011.
- ↑ Bellisario's $1 million gift endows scholarships in College of Communications, Penn State University,October 2, 2006, accessed 5 May 2011.
- ↑ Donald Paul Bellisario. Universal Television via Quantum Leap official site (Sci Fi Channel). Archived from the original on July 12, 2006.