Roberto! was the 17th episode in Season 4 of the TV series Quantum Leap, also the 70th overall series episode. Written by Chris Ruppenthal, the episode, which was directed by series co-star Scott Bakula, who plays the role of Dr. Samuel Beckett, premiered on NBC-TV on March 11, 1992.
In the role of a "Geraldo" type journalist, Sam and an asthmatic woman try and uncover the truth about what is going on at a local chemical plant.
January 27, 1982: Sam leaps into the body of Roberto Gutierrez (leapee played by Andrew Roa), a Geraldo Rivera-inspired talk-show host who works with his co-worker to unmask a local fertilizer and pesticide plant that is researching and producing chemical weapons.
Roberto is the host of the aptly named show, "Roberto!" a local TV talk show that specializes in sensationalisitc stories. His friendly wager with a reporter at the station, Jani Eisengerg (DeLane Matthews), that he can do serious reporting as much as anyone takes a dangerous turn when they visit a new plant being built in the area.
Roberto thinks that he should be doing the story about UFOs and aliens that was called into the station but he soon realizes that there is something sinister going on at the plant. When an informant is killed, they manage to use his pass to get into a secret area and learn why aliens have been seen and sheep have been disappearing. Sam tricks the plant manager into appearing on his show to nab him.
- Sam is never shown seeing his mirror image during this leap, with the real Roberto appearing on various monitors.
- DeLane Matthews as Jani Eisenberg
- Alan Oppenheimer as Earl Skinner
- Jerry Hardin as Ed Saxton
- Michael Heintzman as Tim
- Marcus Giamatti as Rick Upfield
- Donald Gibb as Jeeters (as Don Gibb)
- Barbara Tarbuck as Esther
- Laura Schlessinger as Herself
- Charles Dougherty as Man with Glasses
- Dennis Fimple as Red Norton
- Victor Talmadge as Foreman / Hank
- Sherri Lynn Rothman as Dawn
- Gregg Binkley as Deputy